BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

OH BROTHER!!!

Yesterday did not go at all as planned. Isn't that always the way? I had big plans to have dinner ready when Cameron got home, so that we could venture out to Mesquite where the closest Babies R Us is to exchange the swing that Cameron got for Addison. (Sidenote: It's not his fault he got the wrong one, I should have told him there were more than one of this brand.) Anyway, the day started to veer off course around 2:30. My sister in law called to talk about recent family happenings, and we got into a pretty lengthy discussion (as is usually the way.) that was still going strong by 3:00. During this time the kids had come in and out of my bedroom telling me various things they needed, wanted, or were unhappy about. Overall, nothing major. A little after 3:15 I heard Peyton screaming from upstairs. I hadn't heard anythign out of the ordinary, you know like a crash or anything, so I concluded that one of the other kids must have done something totally unfair, and I resolved to worry about it in a minute. Only, the crying didn't let up. A minute later, my conversation came to a screaching halt when Andi came downstairs to tell me that "Peyton is stuck in Dylan's drawer." How is this even possible? The drawers on Dylan's dresser are way too small to fit a 15 month old with a head in the 85th percentile. I end my call, run upstairs, and find Peyton in Dylan's room with the dresser completely turned over on top of him! He is almost spread eagle on the floor, with the exception of his legs that were kind of curled under the rest of him. His torso section was pinned by at least 3 dresser drawers that had fallen out and landed all askew on him, along with the actual weight of the dresser. His head was pinned to the floor by another drawer. I worked as fast as I could to get him out, and find out how exactly this had happened. From what I gather, and assessed, Dylan was playing with Peyton. Dylan climbed the drawers, (probably all the way to the top) which then started to tip. Dylan was able to avoid being pinned by jumping off when it was lower to the floor, leaving Peyton below the rubble.
After I had Peyton calmed down, I noticed that he seemed to be breathing differently than normal (which I thought could have been associated with a recent cold, but wasn't sure, since I hadn't noticed it before.) and he kind of had this glazed over look in his eye, and kept staring into space. I called Cameron at work, and told him the situation, and when I heard the worry in his voice, I knew it would probably be smart to call the doctor. After a couple short conversations with the nurse, it was decided that we should take him in to be looked at. Cameron left work as quickly as he could, so he could race home to try to make a 4:45 appointment. (At this point, it is a little after 4. Greenville, where Cameron works, is 20 minutes away; Garland, where the pediatrician is, takes about 30 minutes to get there, so you do the math.) Luckily, Aubrey was planning to stop by my house anyway to drop some stuff off, so when she called to tell me she was on her way, I gave her the details. Luckily, she is a fabulous person, and immediately took action to get my other kids taken care of, so Cam and I could just focus on Peyton.
The doctor's assessment is good. Peyton will definitely have some bruising, but there appears to be no internal damage. Turns out that he is having trouble breathing, but due to his cold, so we were sent home with a prescription of Albuterol, and a "Home Safety Checklist". I guess we know what we'll be doing this weekend...

3 comments:

Montserrat said...

Yikes! Definitely not one of the perks of parenthood. Glad Peyton didn't suffer anything major.

Mandy said...

And I thought screwing dressers to the wall was superfluous. Hopefully the boys learned from that. My boy (almost 2yr) climbed a slide and fell off the edge at the top, leaving him emotionally distraught and bruised with abrasions. Unfortunately that didn't stop him from going back to the same slide and doing it again, and again, and almost 2 more times if he wasn't caught. I've learned the hazards of raising a boy.

Sami said...

It's a miracle they live to go to kindergarten, I tell ya. I never quite worried about the anchoring stuff to the wall, but as my boys get older, and more adventurous, I guess it's time to do it already...